Monday, January 23, 2012

More new music rec's. It seems that 120 Minutes now airing weekly has engendered in me a fit of music interest (my interests tend to go in fits and starts). Though some of this is simply exposure to bands I wouldn't normally have, I will sound like a broken record and say the lack of popularity of music videos fundamentally changes the attachments an audience makes with an act. When did the recording industry go south? And when did MTV stop playing music videos? Hmm...

Anyway, here's the list. Maybe some are old hat, but they are new to me. Oh, and everything Mayer Hawthorne has done is better than all of these. Buy that album. Tell everyone you know about it. I want the guy to get rich enough to start his own Detroit-based label, sign Cee-Lo, Andre 3000, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Heavy, and Black Joe Lewis and start another glorious era of Motown soul and R 'n B.

Walk the Moon - Anna Sun
Catchy, with what I think is a Killers vibe. I haven't fully fledged out the theory yet, but I am beginning to suspect that Hot Fuss is one of the more influential albums of the 00s. The lead singer of this band kinda looks like what I'd imagine the lead singer of every lame indie band looks like, but I dig that the video opens with a shot that is over two and a half minutes long, if only for the technical artistry of it. Bought the album; haven't had any other songs of it grab me, but I've had a lot of stuff to listen to.

Electric Guest - This Head I Hold
Maybe these guys could join Mayer Hawthorne's hypothetical New Motown label. This album won't be released for a few weeks, but it's produced by Danger Mouse, and this single is pretty damn good, so it's definitely an album I will be checking out.

Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
1) This guy chose a stupid name for himself. 2) This video has over 48 million views, so maybe it's not new. I think a lot of those views are from non-Americans though, so they don't count. Anyway, in the past I have called Adele and Florence + the Machine the resurgence of vh1 music, and finally they have a male counterpart. The two videos I'm linking could most definitely receive airplay between Sting's Fields of Gold and Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. The first song sounds pretty goddamn Sting-y, as a matter of fact, and the chick in it will have her own entry on this list. Every minivan in the country should be rocking this album:

Gotye - Eyes Wide Open
This sounds more like Peter Gabriel. Also, this video is awesome. I have no idea if this is an intentional throwback, or if Australia is just 20 years behind the United States, but I haven't seen a music video with the same combination of cheese, pretentiousness, and special effects in a long time (and yes, the last time I did, it was probably on vh1). Also, if they ever make another direct-to-video Highlander movie, this song should be the theme song.

Kimbra - Cameo Lover
She's the female singer in the Gotye video. I wasn't crazy about this song until it hit the chorus, but then I loved the hell out of it. Sunshine-y. Also, she is apparently attempting to bring back triangle hair.

Fun. - We are Young
Apparently this was on Glee. So maybe I'm the last person who's heard it. Whatever, I like it. It's ridiculously anthemic.

Alabama Shakes - You Ain't Alone
I totally forgot about this one when making the list. I should put it first, but I'd have to cut and paste. This is one of the most badass vocal performances I've heard in forever. I read someone write that it's like a lost Janis Joplin song, and that's about right. The album won't be out until April, but I want.

Atlas Genius - Trojans
I think this singer sounds a little like the guy from Kings of Leon, but over a dance-rock beat. I don't have a lot to say about this song.

Yuna - Someone Out of Town
I don't know, kinda like Imogen Heap? Good voice, catchy. She's from a country that's not America.

Handsome Furs - Serve the People
This singer wants to be David Bowie. That's not all bad.

Lana del Rey - Video Games
Apparently a bunch of people already got sick of this chick before I had even heard about her (and before she's even released an album). The Internet is weird sometimes. She sings like Nancy Sinatra.

No comments:

Post a Comment