Thursday, July 18, 2013

Best Albums of 2013 (So Far)

How's everybody doing?  Personal life has kept me from giving the blog the attention it deserves, but I would be remiss if I did not at least include a list of my favorite albums for the first half of the year.  



15)
My Bloody Valentine - mbv

Following up Loveless was going to be difficult.  Following up Loveless two decades after the fact was going to be impossible.  While this album isn't going to make anyone forget about the band's masterpiece, it is a more than worthy successor.









14) 
Free Energy - Love Sign
Sometimes all rock needs is a bunch of handclaps and "hey hey hey" choruses.  This album sounds especially good coming out of a car stereo in the summer.









13) 
The Mowgli's - Waiting for the Dawn
Sunshine-y folk pop.  I dare you to resist the catchiness.











12)
Guards - In Guards We Trust
Indie rock with big arena-filling power pop instincts.












11)
Telekinesis - Dormarion
Easily the best power pop album I've heard all year, this album is right in my musical sweet spot.











10)
Justin Timberlake - 
The 20/20 Experience
I probably had higher hopes for this album before it was released, but it is still catchy and fun in spots and ambitious from start to finish.











9)
Tegan and Sara - Heartthrob
Tegan and Sara have never been as fun as they are on this fun 80's synth-inspired album.  "Closer" remains a hell of a song to scream the lyrics to while jumping up and down.









8)
The Computers - Love Triangles
 Hate Squares
Reminds me of Jet's first album, but I really do mean that as a compliment.  This album is a lot of fun.











7)
Phosphorescent - Muchacho
This album could have made the list solely on the strength of single "Song for Zula," maybe my favorite song of the year, but the entirety of the album reveals a tremendously talented singer-songwriter.









6)
Charli XCX - True Romance
Everyone knows her for writing "I Love It," Icona Pop's anthemic dance song that seemingly has an inexhaustible life in pop culture, but Charli XCX still managed to save some of her catchy dance-y pop songs for her own album too.









5)
Portugal. The Man - Evil Friends
The combination of Portugal. the Man's psychedelia with Danger Mouse's R&B-inspired production just works.











4)
Chance the Rapper - 
Acid Rap Mixtape
The most unique voice I've heard in hip hop all year.  Sky's the limit with this kid.











3)
Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety
At times reminiscent of Prince, this lush yet nervy album is one of the best in what's become a fairly interesting R&B movement lately.











2)
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
A victim of excessive prerelease marketing hype, this album nonetheless delivered for me.  I wish they would have chose the other Pharrell song as lead single though.









1)
Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires
of the City
This eclectic album sounds like a promising band finally achieving their potential.  Alternatively upbeat, beautiful, catchy, and contemplative, the album made me an official fan of Vampire Weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment