Tuesday, April 3, 2012

New Music Roundup

Housekeeping: ok, so I'm still dicking around with the format, but here's what I'm currently thinking. I'll email out the same text I always have, since 1) I don't trust any of you to actually click any links, and 2) there's nothing lamer than emailing nothing but a "here: look at my blog" email. Rather than including all those youtube links in the email that I'm pretty sure none of you actually use, though, I'll just include a link to my blog, where all the videos will hopefully be embedded, provided I am technologically able to do that. I still view this as an email list email more than any sort of website, but it just seems easier to have all the videos on one web page. Anyway, feedback on this system is welcome.

There were a couple decent finds this week, although technology has been my adversary today, so I haven't listened to as much as I would have liked.

Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
I think this came out today. It was the first time I was able to download it from amazon or stream it on spotify, but it doesn't seem like any critics are writing about it, which is strange, because I feel like I've encountered the single "Little Talks" everywhere, and this album is pretty damn good. The lack of coverage may be because the album came out so long ago in Europe. Anyway, I've talked about this band a little before: they're from Iceland, they have names that have things like the empty set sign as a letter, and they do a really catchy version of indie-folk. The way the band was first described to me was as an Icelandic Arcade Fire, but I see them more as an interesting synthesis of Florence + the Machine (the lead female singer's powerful voice and the use of some "mystic" instrumentation), Mumford and Sons (the love of a good soaring anthemic chorus), and The Head and the Heart (the folkiness and some male-female singer interplay). If you like any three of those bands, or even Iceland in general (remember: Iceland is green, whereas Greenland is full of ice), you should definitely check the album out. It will be considered in my best-of year-end list.

Selections
Little Talks
Slow and Steady
Six Weeks


Screaming Females - Ugly
This is a misnomer: only one of the members of this band female, although she does do the a fair share of screaming. This is so far the best guitar record of 2012. The titular screaming female is Marissa Paternoster, and she also plays a badass guitar; there's more than a little J Mascis in her riffing. This album was also produced by Steve Albini and sounds as muscular as you would expect from him. Screaming Females have been around for a little while, but I think this is my favorite album of theirs.

Selections
It All Means Nothing
Expire

Dr. John - Locked Down
Man, doesn't it seem like there's been a ton of retro stuff lately? I have to give this guy some credit, though, he authentically sounds like he's from the 60's and 70's; he must have listened to a lot of records from that time period. And considering all the current retro acts and this guy's seeming authenticity, maybe it'll be a case of right place right time. I do wonder about his on-stage persona, though: I'm not sure ripping off muppet Dr. Teeth is the wisest course of action.

Alright, lame jokes aside, I like this record a great deal. Produced by one of the Black Keys (I don't know which one, and I'm not looking it up), this album has Dr. John doing Dr. John things, but unlike some aging stars in the twilight of their careers, none of the songs sounds like a direct rip-off of any of his earlier stuff. This works great for me; I basically think Dr. John is one of the coolest guys on the planet and enjoy listening to him do his thing.

Selections
Locked Down
Revolution

Oberhofer - Time Capsules II
This one surprised me a bit. It's the debut album by a guy who named Brad Oberhofer, and it's full of bright, peppy, catchy indie music. There's a lot of grandiose, varied instrumentation on the album, but just about every song has driving percussion that really keeps things moving. The guy apparently has something of a Ramones obsession, and it shows: though none of the songs have guitars as strong as the Ramones, the focus on catchy simple songs is similar. I think it's a very promising debut album.

Selections
Heart
Landline
Away Frm U
I Could Go

Au - Both Lights

First off, I don't know how this band's name is supposed to be pronounced (is it gold? A.U.? Ahw?). Secondly, this is apparently what indie excess sounds like. This guy has apparently never met a note he wouldn't play, and this album sounds busy busy busy. In small doses, it kinda does have something of a prog-y charm to it. The opening track, an instrumental called Epic, sounds like Indie Rush. Au Rush. Gold Rush. Heh, I just got that.

Selections
Epic
Get Alive

Weird Dreams - Choreography
This is just really good jangle pop. I don't think I have anything more to add; if you like jangle pop, you will like this.

Selections
Vague Hotel
Little Girl

*****Bonus Section - Singles*****
Ok, so here's a couple of singles I've been listening to lately where the artist doesn't have a whole album out yet. Or maybe they do, but I'm not aware of it. Again, I don't really feel like doing research. Anyway, these songs were too good not to share.

Nick Waterhouse - I Can Only Give You Everything
Crazy authentic 60's R&B. In the way that it meant to actually stand for rhythm and blues.

The Good Natured - Video Voyeur
Bouncy, catchy electropop.

Kids These Days - Darling
Very young group that melds hip hop, jazz, and R&B.

Bleached - Searching Through the Past
Fuzzed out 60's surf pop


No comments:

Post a Comment