Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New Music Roundup, 6/12

Jukebox the Ghost - Safe 
I had never heard of this band before today, when I read the AV Club's review today that said the group was equally influenced by Ben Folds, Fountains of Wayne, and Queen.  Let me tell you: if you drop those three comparisons, it's going to get my attention.  The group these guys actually remind me the most of is actually fun., but with the grandiosity turned down a little bit and the strange production decisions that dogged the back half of that band's album happily absent.  This is a peppy little album, and I think I could end up listening to it quite a bit.  I'm hoping this band gets some good exposure: this album deserves it.

Selections
Somebody

At Last

Don't Let Me Fall Behind



Bobby Womack - The Bravest Man in the Universe
The raspy voiced soul singer from the 70's is given spacy Gorillaz-esque atmospherics to sing over by coproducer Damon Albarn.  It wasn't a given that the two styles would mesh well, but on the whole they do, although this album is missing that one insanely catchy song that the Gorillaz usually have on their albums.  Still, there isn't a dud track, and they even make effective use out of internet punching bag Lana del Rey. 

Selections
The Bravest Man in the Universe

Love is Gonna Lift You Up

Dayglo Reflection


Guided by Voices - Class Clown Spots a UFO
Never listened to Guided by Voices?  Then stop reading this immediately and go listen to 1994's Bee Thousand.  Don't worry: I'll still be here when you get back.

Bee Thousand is probably the only logical gateway into this version of Guided by Voices (Isolation Drills is equally enjoyable, but that's from GbV's "pop" period), but if you loved Bee Thousand, you'll almost certainly love this album.  This is the second GbV release this year, after January's Let's Go Eat the Factory (Robert Pollard has never been skittish about releasing music), and right now, I think this album has the stronger songs of the two.  If you're hip to GbV's game of lo-fi production, seemingly half-penned sketches, and genre-hopping, then Class Clown Spots a UFO will definitely not disappoint.

Selections
Billy Wire

Class Clown Spots a UFO

Keep It In Motion


The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now
This guy's sound is constantly compared to Bob Dylan, and I totally don't understand why that is, other than the fact that he sounds completely like Dylan.  I could see his voice annoying some people, but if you can get past that, he writes pretty beautiful chill folk songs.  I liked his previous EP better (which had the completely awesome song "The Dreamer"), but this one is good too, and I could see myself playing the piano ballad title track a decent amount when it's raining.

Selections
There's No Leaving Now

To Just Grow Away

Criminals


Future of the Left - The Plot Against Common Sense
I'm definitely selective when it comes to my heavy music, but sometimes you just want something loud, fast, and angry to bang your head to.  Future of the Left's previous album Travels with Myself and Another was one such album that scratched that itch, and it was really good.  This album is a slight step down from that one, but that's likely due to the absence of the song "Arming Eritrea," which is likely the best song Future of the Left will ever have.  Still, this album rocks, and the band definitely has a sense of humor: I'm always going to like an album that has a track titled "Robocop 4 - Fuck Off Robocop."  These guys are crazy leftists though (as if the name wasn't clear), so if that's something that bothers you, there's your heads up, although I can't imagine one can listen to punk of any kind and have a problem with listening to bands spout leftist rhetoric: the two go together like peanut butter and bread.

Selections
Sheena is a T-Shirt Salesman

Polymers are Forever

Goals in Slow Motion

Jaill - Traps
I heard this Milwaukee band for the first time today.  This album is pretty much catchy slacky summer music.  I don't think I would classify this as surf-rock exactly, but it does seem to be in the same neighborhood.  I'm trying to think of a good comparison: maybe The Drums?  Anyway, this sounds like it would be fun blaring out of car speakers with the windows down.

Selections
Everyone's a Bitch
Waste a Lot of Things

Horrible Things (Make Pretty Songs)

That's all the music I've got time for today.  It was a pretty ridiculously overstuffed day: I didn't even get to new albums from Ed Sheeran, Metric, or Hot Chip.  I'll probably listen to them the next couple days, and if they're interesting enough, I may do another one of these later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment