Monday, June 25, 2012

My Favorite Albums from the First Half of 2012

10) Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls
This band's clearly got all the talent in the world; I just wish the production was a little better.




9) Kelly Hogan - I Like to Keep Myself in Pain
Country-tinged pop.  One of my go-to chill albums from 2012.



8) Kimbra - Vows
Catchy pop music with more sophistication than a lot of what's on the top 40.


7) Electric Guest - Mondo
Soul music meets indie, with a huge heaping of Danger Mouse.  Maybe has my favorite single on it.



6) Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
90's throwback album that does chilly ("No Future/No Past") and singalong ("Stay Useless") equally well.


5) Menzingers - On the Impossible Past
Overarticulate Americana loser-rock in the tradition of the Hold Steady.


4) Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
Comfortably my favorite hip hop album of the year.  Outkast disciple rapping over aggressive-as-hell production from El P.  This one slipped through the cracks my weekly review, but is absolutely great.


3) Tribes - Baby
Maybe not the most original, but one of the most enjoyable.


2) Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
Just good indie rock with a powerful-voiced female lead singer.


1) Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Unashamedly sincere, fist-pumpingly loud rock and roll.


Honorable mentions that just missed the cut
Jukebox the Ghost - Safe Travels, Guided by Voices Let's Go Eat the Factory/Class Clown Spots a UFO, The Lumineers - The Lumineers, Tennis - Young & Old, Dr. John - Locked Down

No comments:

Post a Comment