Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Music Thoughts:

Not as excited about any one band this week, but there are a couple solid album choices (although I'm cheating a bit).

First off, did Sleeper Agent really not take on any of you? That's too bad; I still think they're pretty good. And them being young means sky's the limit. Anyway, my first choice apparently came out in November, but it must have been reissued today on a major label or something, because it was on the list I use for new releases. I hadn't heard it before today, so apologies if this band is old news:

Caveman - Coco Beware

Bucket, if you haven't heard of this band before, you should give them a shot. I seem to remember you being on a Real Estate kick a couple weeks ago, and these guys have a very similar vibe; it's kinda light and airy beach music (they also remind me of Local Natives and early Shins, to place them genre-wise). I'm not 100% sure I won't get forget about this in a couple of weeks (not unlike my reaction to Real Estate), but it's very good at what it does.

Selections
Old Friend

My Time

Sharks - No Gods

This was the album I didn't get a chance to listen to last week. Why I listened to six albums before this one from a young pop-punk band officially endorsed by Mick Jones of the Clash, I have no idea. You've probably heard everything on this album before. I've gone to the sounds like Gaslight Anthem well a lot of late, but I'll do it one more time: though they don't have the Springsteen fascination that Gaslight Anthem has, musically Sharks is very similar. They have clean, middle of the road production with pop-punk-y guitars and singalong choruses. It reminds me of the mid-90's without directly evoking one band. I think this band would have appeared on the soundtrack to Dumb and Dumber, and if that means anything to you, then perhaps you'd like them. And they're Mick Jones-approved.

Selections
Patient Spider (I kinda want this song to get huge and don't see any reason why it can't)

Arcane Effigies

La Sera - Sees the Light

Finally, an act who actually released a new album this week! La Sera is the other stage name for Katy Goodman, who plays bass for a band called Vivian Girls under the stage name Kickball Katy (yes, Brooklyn is ridiculous). I myself have never listened to the band Vivian Girls before (and they sound kinda awful in a Pitchfork-approved way), but I decided to give this album a listen, and I'm really glad I did. I wasn't expecting a bassist from a flash-in-the-pan lo-fi Brooklyn band to have a great voice, but Katy really does. I have had a hard time placing it: maybe Neko Case when she's not playing country? Chrissy Hynde when she's not sneering? Whatever, it's good, the songs are well-written, and the instrumentation is bright and clean. The best track is "Drive On," where she does a Stevie Nicks impression over driving guitars with tones straight out of John Cougar's "Rain on the Scarecrow," but I like the whole album.

Selections
Real Boy / Drive On (unfortunately the only youtube video I could find combined both these songs, but to me Drive On is the real draw here)

Break My Heart

Miike Snow - Happy to You

Lykke Li cameos on this album, so this is the leader for Swedishest album of the year. Miike Snow is a trio consisting of a pair of Swedish songwriters who have written a shit-ton of pop hits, most notably Britney Spears's "Toxic", and Andrew Wyatt, who has done a lot of work with Mark Ronson. On paper, this should be awesome, and for stretches it definitely is, but the album as a whole is a little uneven. It feels a little too indie rock-y, when everyone knows Swedes should just focus on dance rock. Also, there are a couple tracks that seem like they are aiming for but just fall short of funky. I suppose 'tis better to have funked and lost than never funked at all, but it's a little bit of a bummer. Oh, and sequencing is a little strange too: the lead single and best song is the last track. But make no mistake: the good songs are really, really good dance rock. I hope "Paddling Out" gets played everywhere; it definitely will be played out of my car speakers.

Selections
Paddling Out

The Wave (no, I have no idea what's going on in the video)

Alright, that's it for this week. Madonna released an album this week too. I didn't listen to it, but it sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment