Tuesday, July 10, 2012

New Music Roundup 7/10

Don't call it a comeback (seriously, why would you?  I was only gone two weeks and frankly, I wasn't exactly at the pinnacle before that).

Work necessitated that this would be a short entry, but there are two really good new albums this week worth being on folks' radar.

Twin Shadow - Confess

I wasn't as excited about this album as I should have been because I got this guy mixed up with the mediocre Scottish band Twin Atlantic.  My bad: this is quite the album.  Remember how we were discussing summer albums, and I was attempting to distinguish between summer day albums and summer night albums?  If there was any question about what constitutes a summer night album, just listen to this thing.  Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan of Grandland's Hollywood Prospectus Podcast called this album John Hughes rock, and I'm really jealous they came up with that before me, because it fits really well.  I will instead call it the midpoint between M83 and Tanlines, which of course is a far more obscure descriptor.  Anyway, this is really worth a listen.  

Selections
5 Seconds

Run My Heart

Be Mine Tonight



Dirty Projectors - Swing Lo Magellan

Dirty Projectors' previous album, 2009's music-nerd-approved Bitte Orca, consisted of interesting noise.  This new album is interesting music.  Swing Lo Magellan may very well still be too weird for some people, but I really enjoy that Dirty Projectors was able to package that weirdness into much more accessible, sometimes-even-catchy music.  It still remains very difficult for me to describe the group's sound, which speaks to their uniqueness.  I guess they have kinda noodly guitars and weird-ass jumbled rhythms.  You could call them disorienting, I suppose, but one thing you cannot accuse them of being derivative, and for that I recommend checking them out.

Selections
Gun Has No Trigger

About to Die

Swing Lo Magellan


Addendum:

Goddamn is Blur good.





No comments:

Post a Comment